ROSALIND HOWARD, COUNTESS OF CARLISLE 1845 – 1921
Rosalind was born to aristocratic parents, Lord and Lady Stanley of Alderley. She married George Howard in 1864 to become Countess of Carlisle. Between them they had 11 children and travelled around the world extensively. Rosalind was strong-willed and feisty, with a keen interest in politics. For this she was given the nickname “The Radical Countess”. Rosalind took the temperance pledge in 1881 and closed down all public houses on her estates, including Castle Howard and Naworth Castle, the following year.
George and Rosalind’s home at Castle Howard became the venue for annual temperance demonstrations and galas, and in 1903 she became the President of the National British Women’s Temperance Association (N.B.W.T.A), taking over from Lady Henry Somerset. By the end of her first 12 months campaigning for the temperance movement, over 1,500 people had signed the temperance pledge.
NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE, CASTLE HOWRD, JULY 1909
She disagreed with many of the policies set out by Lady Henry, particularly compensating licence holders who had lost their livelihoods due to temperance. She also disliked the American influence Francis Willard had on the N.B.W.T.A and closed down several of the departments she deemed unnecessary. Rosalind did a great deal to further the temperance movement, and even became involved in the Scientific Temperance Instruction, which urged schools to teach children about the dangers of alcohol.
NATIONAL EXCUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING, PLYMOUTH c1914
Rosalind’s daughters, particularly Lady Cecilia, Lady Dorothy and Lady Aurea, were involved with N.B.W.T.A. Lady Cecilia was President of the Organisation between 1922 and 1925.
When Rosalind Howard died, a memorial fund was set up in her name and a permanent residence for the N.B.W.T.A was opened. Since then, every property that the Charity has worked from has been named after Rosalind Carlisle. In 1923 the first property was opened at 104 Gower Street, London costing £3,500 (approximately £14 million in today’s money).In 1952 the Organisation moved into the second Rosalind Carlisle House at 23 Dawson Place, London, and finally in 2006 to 341 Tanworth Lane, Solihull.